Have you tried the Affogato?
Want to take your coffee break to the next level? Why not turn your favourite cup of coffee into the most delicious pick-me up dessert? Meet Affogato, a molten Italian coffee dessert that is winning hearts everywhere.
Now if you haven’t heard of affogato before, no worries, you are at the right place.
For this Italian dessert you just need two ingredients, yes just two. All you have to do is drown two scoops of your favourite vanilla ice-cream or gelato under a shot of piping hot espresso or lungo. Our Classico, Intenso & Cremoso blends are perfect for this recipe. The rich and hot espresso melts the ice cream and creates a molten pool of deliciousness. This combination works brilliantly because of the difference in hot and cold temperatures and textures of both.
This dessert was originally invented in Italy, as the word “affogato” means “drowned”. It makes perfect sense because this dessert is made up of scoops of ice cream “drowned” in espresso.
As mentioned, this dessert is very simple, but here are a couple of tips that can make your affogato even better:
- See that the ice cream is very cold, and chill the glass or bowl as well.
- Do not drown the scoop completely with coffee.
- The is a last-minute dessert, so it should be made just before consuming it
- Keep a piece of chocolate over the ice cream, while the hot espresso pours over it.
- You can also top the dessert with chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, syrups or nuts.
- You could also crumble some biscotti over the dessert for that added punch
- You can also try different flavours of ice cream that go well with coffee, like hazelnut or caramel.
So, the next time you experience a midday craving for something sweet or need a last-minute dessert, make this classic Italian coffee dessert. Every molten spoonful of this fantastic yet easy to make Italian dessert is magic.